Australia

I'm on 100mgs of thyroxine for hypothyroidism. i'm trying for a baby can i take a preconception vitamin with iodine in it 150mg. will it interact. ?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
That's fine: Hi. It's fine to take that prenatal vitamin with that iodine; it won't interact with your l-thyroxine. And just to clarify, you're taking 100 micrograms (mcg), not 100 milligrams (mg). 100 mcg is the same as 0.1 mg, so if you want to use milligrams, it's 0.1 mg. Often your l-thyroxine dose will need to be increased early in your pregnancy. I'm sure your OB is on top of that. Good luck!

Last updated Apr 23, 2016