What will happen if humatrope (human growth hormone) is frozen?

Dr. Paul Kaplowitz
Pediatric Endocrinology 45 years experience
It may lose potency: I assume you are talking about Humatrope (human growth hormone) which has been mixed with water. Freezing may cause some of the GH to come out of solution when it is thawed and you may see white dust when you mix it. I don't think injecting it would be harmful but if it is just one vial or cartridge & you have extra, I would probably discard it to be on the safe side since if you use it you won't know how much is left
Dr. Thomas Knecht
Not reported: Hi. I can tell you from the biochemistry standpoint, probably NOTHING will happen. Defrost it and use it, and it should be fine. Unlike heating (which irreversibly destroys proteins), proteins are generally very tolerant of freezing. But it hasn't been approved (or reported as far as I know). I'm sure it will not hurt you, and the GH should work just fine.