what is the treatment for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy?

Dr. Michael Zevitz
Internal medicine 37 years experience
Echocardiogram: Echocardiogram is the definitive test for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a disease whose greatest risk is that of fatal heart rhythm disturbance, regardless of whether it is obstructive or not. The presence of this abnormality on echocardiogram usually requires the placement of a defibrillator to prevent sudden cardiac death.
Dr. Marco Paliotta
Thoracic Surgery 30 years experience
Medical and surgical: The treatment for hcm is based on symptoms and degree of hypertrophy. Hcm causes obstruction of outflow of blood from the heart, potentially life-threatening arrhythmias and heart failure. Medical treatments include beta blockers and anti-arrhythmic meds. Surgery involves removal of muscle tissue (myectomy); placement of an aicd; alcohol ablation. Follow up with you cardiologist!