Canada

Numbness hands, feet, legs, arm off and on for months, sometimes skin is almost painful after shower, black whole in vision once, neg brain mri, ?

Dr. Georgia Latham
Metabolic: That is great that you had a negative brain MRI. Have you been evaluated by a neurologist. If nothing is wrong with your brain, perhaps the problem is metabolic. There are numerous metabolic disorders that could be the cause of your symptoms. The black hole in your vision could be part of a migraine syndrome. For more information see: http://understandingmigraine.
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 36 years experience
NMO can present this way as well (Optic neuritis plus cord demyelination simultaneously) Negative MR brain
Nov 15, 2014
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 36 years experience
NMO: Neuromyelitis optica. Like MS but Negative MRI brain. CNS demyelination of the spinal cord and optic nerve. See a neurologist and ask about this. There is a blood test and other aspects of work up than may have been overlooked (Visual Evoked Potentials)
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Seen Doctor lately?: Your symptoms would be best evaluated by a physician expert in neuropathies such as a neurologist. You will require testing for metabolic types of disorders especially since your brain MR is negative. I'm not sure what the Black Hole in your vision refers to unless you also had a headache you didn't mention.
Dr. Eric Weisman
Neurology 36 years experience
Might by NMO Dr. Sagahafi. What you think ?
Nov 15, 2014
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Provided original answer
I think that's a great thought Dr. Weisman and I had also considered it but felt that she would've given a few more "classic" symptoms I might've like to hear such as bowel/bladder issues, more of an ocular pain syndrome though I agree that her description is really good as is to put the "optica" part of NMO on the acronym. Perhaps an anti aquaorin 4 antibody test?
Nov 15, 2014

Last updated Jan 3, 2018