what are the tests for cataract?

Dr. Glenn Pomerance
Ophthalmology 47 years experience
Simple: Measurement of the vision in the best corrected state will discover quantitative vision loss from cataracts! measurement of glare disturbance will assess the qualitative disturbance! one or both may be indicators for cataract surgery! a comprehensive exam by your eyemd will confirm the need, risks and expected benefits of cataract surgery in your particular case!
Dr. Howard Pomeranz
Ophthalmology 28 years experience
Cataract: An ophthalmologist will look at the eyes with an instrument called a slit lamp which magnifies the front of the eye and allows observation of a cataract.
Dr. Michael Ham
Ophthalmology 27 years experience
Examination: Visual acuity, Slit lamp examination (eye microscope), Glare, history
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
Cataract tests: If best vision is worse than 20/40 or glare (BAT: brightness acuity test) is significantly affecting VA, most surgeons prefer to do surgery soon but depends on pt's sx, pt's risk factors, pt's preferences; Other tests help determine significance of cataract if need: PAM Potential Acuity meter; OCT, ECC, Pentacam, Tear OSM; More info: eyedoc2020.blogspot.com
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Acuity, obsservation: When a cataract is suspected, the acuity of vision is usually down and the eye is examined by the ophthalmologist to see if that is the only cause. If the eye is otherwise normal, then cataract is likely. The ophthalmologist can observe the lense through the dilated pupil and usually makes the diagnosis. There are glare tests which can add to the diagnosis.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
The tests for Cataract include:: Fundoscopic exam, Slit lamp exam, Ocular tonometer.
Dr. Sandra Lora Cremers
Ophthalmology 25 years experience
Cataract tests: A microscope called a Slit lamp allows the eye surgeon to see if you have a cataract. A machine called a Pentacam has an objective measure called the PNS you could ask your eyeMD to tell you about: it gives an objective measure of cataract density when able to be measured.