Reading, MA

noticed recession on #'s 23-26 (long tooth look) and on #22 and #27 advanced recession. dentist told me this is from over brushing- can this happen?

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry 36 years experience
Yes: brushing very hard can cause gum recession and so can periodontal disease, clenching, grinding, a bad bite.see a periodontist and find out what and why this is happening.
Dr. Thomas Yash
Dentistry 46 years experience
Possible: Gum recession in the lower anterior region can be exaggerated by poor brushing technique. However it is more often associated with lip tension where the attachments from the lip are situated high and pull the gums down and away from the teeth. This very common after orthodontics. Closely monitor your gums. You may need to go to periodontist for surgery to correct or you can loose the teeth.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Of course: The excessive and vigorous brushing with a brush with hard bristles may cause brushing trauma and gum recession.