Chicago, IL

My 3 month old feeds every 1.5-2 hrs, even at nite. is this normal? he's gaining weight but shouldn't the time btn feeds reduce?

Dr. Jeffrey Olin
Normal frequency: Infants are different in terms of feeding intervals at this age. Some infants will feed every 3-4 hours, and some will feed every 1.5 to 2 hours. The average time for milk to transit from the entrance to the stomach to the pylorus ( exit to the small intestine) is about 2 hours. I feel that your infant is normal but needs to feed frequently! The feeding intervals will lengthen with time.
Dr. Deborah Ungerleider
Are you nursing or: bottle-feeding?Typically nursing babies feed more often than with bottles.Usually by 3 months or just after,the feedings should space out more.It also depends on how much he's drinking at each feeding.You should discuss this with his doctor if you haven't already. Meanwhile, you can try holding him off a little longer between feeds,by 5-10 minutes to start and then slowly stretching it out longer.

Last updated May 19, 2015