my neck is always stiff, not in the lower neck shoulder area but like a narrow strip at the upper and middle part of my neck. what would help?

3 doctor answers
Dr. John Michel
Less stress: Many times the area that you describe is related to stress. It may also be related to the way you sit and do homework or in school. If you are in some type of sport or program that involves the neck this may be the cause. It is important to review your activities and see if any involve the neck structures in a maladaptive fashion. Discuss with your doctorl
Answered on Nov 6, 2014
Dr. Aleks Radovic
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Depends: It all depends on the cause. If it is of muscular origin, try some heat, rest, and over the counter pain relievers (i.e ibuprofen or tylenol). If you had any trauma, I would be seen by a physician, and possibly get imaging done if this is an ongoing issue. If you are with a fever or signs of infection, this is something to be seen for as well. All the best.
Answered on Nov 6, 2014
Dr. David Yablonsky
Muscular: Assuming you are an otherwise healthy young man, its most likely muscle spasms. Make sure you have a high quality pillow for nigh time. Start with some physical therapy or chiro. If you have no problems taking Ibuprofen(stomach issues or ulcers) try that too
Answered on Dec 5, 2014