Lake Mary, FL

How to tell if my breast milk is drying up? i have been nursing for 17 months and my nipples are getting sore because my daughter is sucking so hard.

Dr. Julan Crane
Breast feeding: She could be sucking hard for milk or just because she is older and can. Most of her nutrients are from solid food now so your milk production may be less now. You could try pumping to see if you have much now.
Dr. James Rochester
Less produced: As child ages they will suck harder and teeth become an issue also. But to tell if production of milk decreasing can pump and see how much you get. Do this each day for a week or so and see what happens with the volume you get. Also are breasts decreasing in size (ie using smaller cup size of bra) also good indicator the milk production decreasing.
Dr. Clarene Cress
Specializes in Pediatrics
Lack of engorgement.: If you were to skip a nursing, one would expect a moderate amount of engorgement or fullness. If you then express the milk, it would indicate how much you have per feeding. Most toddlers require about 16-24 oz of milk/d and solids. If not enough, may have poor weight gain or urine output. Many toddlers continue to suckle at the breast for self comfort like a pacifier. Decision time for you.

Last updated Mar 2, 2016