United Kingdom

I've been using benzoyle peroxide for my acne and i'm also on tetracycline they are working wonders but what happens when i stop taking them?

Dr. Edwin Ishoo
Acne: You will need to stop these soon as tetracycline is not a safe antibiotic to take for too long (actually not prescribed in US much anymore) and BP will dry and irritate your skin. Acne is not due to and infection, it is hormonal and due to blocked sebum glands. For long term management of acne prone skin, you need to find out what is causing your acne.
Dr. Nadine Yamusah
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Depends: In some cases, once the treatment is over, there are no more occurrences. Try to maintain a healthy diet and keep face clean and always moisturised. Dry skin can cause cracks in the skin which can subsequently cause infection
Dr. Melissa Gowans
Depends: Acne is generally a chronic condition in adolescence and early adulthood. Benzoyle peroxide is a staple of skin care so I would continue to use it. If you've been using the Tetracycline for a long time (more than 1 yr) then you can trial off, if the acne comes back, then restart the tetracycline. If the acne doesn't come back then you can consider only using the benzoyle peroxide for flare-ups.