neither my husband nor myself has any std's, however, after he ejaculates inside of me, the next day there is a fishy like odor. why is this?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Peter Baumann
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Bacterial vaginosis: A discharge with a fishy odor is caused by a bacteria named Gardnerella vaginalis. There is some evidence from research that males can harbor Gardnerella in their prostate glands. They don't have symptoms and therefore have no reasons to see a doctor. The bacteria are thought to be released during ejaculation. Bacterial vaginosis can be treated with metronidazole.
Answered on Oct 19, 2014
Dr. Hunter Handsfield
52 years experience Infectious Disease
Bacterial vaginosis?: Welcome to HealthTap. Thanks for your question. You may have bacterial vaginosis, an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. In diagnosing BV, an alkaline chemical is added to a sample of the fluid, releasing a fishy odor. Semen is alkaline, so the same thing happens. Trichomonas also is possible but less likely. BV generally isn't serious, but see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment.
Answered on Nov 29, 2014