my husband has cancer in his throat and neck ..diagnosis is hpv16.. should i see a gyn? does that indicate i have the hpv16 cancer as well?

Dr. Stanley Swaby
26 years experience Obstetrics and Gynecology
Not necessarily: This does not mean that you have 'cervical' hpv 16. Most women come in contact with High risk hpv including types 16 &18 that causes about 70% of all cervical cancers but their body clears the virus. For hpv to cause cervical cancer it must persist and stay in your body for a long time. It is good practice to see your doctor on a regular schedule to have your pap test done (hpv if age appropriate)
Answered on May 8, 2016
1