i used gentamicin eye drops before i knew i was pregnant. i am 6 weeks now and have stopped. what is the chance there is major damage done to my baby?

Dr. Richard Carlin
Ophthalmology 50 years experience
Don't worry: The chance is minuscule. I wouldn't worry.
Dr. Jay Bradley
LASIK Surgery 18 years experience
Minimal: Gentamicin eye drops pose minimal risk to your baby since very little is absorbed systemically.
General/pregnancy: In general, any drop/cream/ointment/etc. that you apply to your body surfaces cannot make its way into the blood at a level it could reach and harm a fetus. The only exception to that rule are those specialty patches that have a special chemical allowing meds to move through the skin.This drop specifically would not be a problem.

Last updated May 12, 2017