Syracuse, NY

I have a heat like rash on my face neck stomach and back. i was prescribed bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) for an abscess. could it be related?

Dr. Robert Vanderbrook
Allergic reaction: Sounds like an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is a sulfa medication, and sulfa allergies are very common. You should probably discontinue the Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) and let your doctor know so that they can prescribe something else.
Dr. Jeffrey Stricker
Dermatology 27 years experience
Yes: You should call and inform the provider who prescribed Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) to you and alert them to the changes, If you experience difficulty breathing call 911.

Last updated Apr 24, 2015