Houston, TX

i've been taking hydroxycut to help with my weight loss, and it has been effective, but would i (5'8",215lbs,32% bf) likely be eligible for prescription diet drugs?

Dr. Julie Abbott
Preventive Medicine 45 years experience
Possibly: A BMI (body mass index) of 30 or greater, in the obesity range, is often the standard doctors and pharmacy plans use to guide therapy. I calculate your BMI at 32.7. There are a few drugs available now..orlistat, orcaserin, phentermine..which work through different mechanisms. Your doctor can review with you. Great hope is on the horizon for new, more effective drugs.
Dr. James Rochester
Prob not: Your bmi is 32. While elevated, not high enough to warrant prescription wt loss meds. Continue reg exercise. Watch the calories esp carbohydrates and keep at it. Wt does not go on over night, nor does it come off overnight. Keep up the good work. Careful with the hydroxycut as it can cause increase blood pressure and is not so good for your kidneys. Best of luck. Dr. R

Last updated Jul 2, 2015