Houston, TX

what kind of risks does rapid weight gain (~70 lbs in ~7-8 months) have? i was slightly overweight to begin with and am now 5'8" and nearly 220 and am trying to lose it but it's slow going

Dr. Susana Sixto-rodriguez
Rapid weight gain: You need to have your thyroid checked to see why so much weight in short period of time. Have you had a change in the amount of activity and the overeating? This amount of weight gain can cause HTN and diabetes. Both are bad for your heart and puts you at increased cardiac risk. You are to young to have this. Have you had any recent upsetting event? Good to see a therapist and nutritionist.
Dr. Olakitan Akinjagunla
Specializes in Internal Medicine
There is HELP!!!: Rapid weight gain can be caused by various factors including hormonal problems,overeating and lack of exercise. This can cause medical problems such as increased blood pressure,stretch marks,apnea and a host of other medical issues. It may affect the persons self esteem.You need a lot of support to lose weight. Ask your doctor to evaluate you and register at an accredited medical weightloss clinic