West Columbia, SC

rectal bleeding. started out with burning/itching and blood on tp now blood is on stool too. small amounts each time. is red blood always from rectum?

Dr. Mark Pack
General Surgery 31 years experience
See your doctor: At your age rectal bleeding is most likely hemorrhoids or a tear, but the worst thing you can do is presume that is what it is and never have it checked. Please see your primary doctor or your GYN doctor to have it checked properly.
Dr. Myron Arlen
Surgical Oncology 64 years experience
Anal canal: When blood is seen as bright red on toilet paper and then on stool the site is low rectum anal canal. The most common cause is a fissure or hemorrhoids. At 23 years of age one doesn't think of anal or rectal cancer. A digital exam and evaluation of the area of internal and external hemorrhoids should resolve the issue.