Columbia, MO

is it safe to suddenly stop taking my 40 mg of sotalol for svt ? i want to breastfeed my 2 weeek old baby and wasnt sure of the risks?

Dr. Melissa Gowans
No: You should never stop any cardiac medications without speaking to your cardiologist first. EVER. Sotalol is excreted in the breast milk in higher concentrations than is found in the mothers. While I can't find any reports of adverse events, speak with your baby's pediatrician. The two of you can weight the risks and benefits and make an informed decision from there - or speak to your cardiologist
Dr. Mark Meijer
Communication: ask the pediatrician to talk to the cardiologist and/or the doctor who originally put you on the medication. The data is sparse on breast milk and baby. The danger for your heart needs a cardiologist. Baby does better if mommy stays out of the hospital. Don't just stop Sotatol without talking to the doctors that care for you and your baby.
Dr. Anita Prakash
Cardiology 29 years experience
I suspect that you could wean off your very low dose sotalol without a problem, especially if your last episode of SVT was very long ago and/or in the setting of an underlying ppt. Having said that, however, it would be prudent to re-consult your cardiologist and tell him/her you would like to be off it. Some electrophysiologists suggest "pill in the pocket" treatment. See an electrophysiologist
Oct 2, 2014

Last updated Mar 18, 2017