Philippines

I have cellulitis and taking clindamycin 300mg 6 tabs daily. on the fifth day i have difficulty swallowing. should i stop the medication?

Dr. Tanya Russo
Call you doc: Stopping an antibiotic early can result in difficult to treat, resistant infections. However, side effects from antibiotics may result in the need to change to a different one. Your doctor can help you decide whether this swallowing problem is related to the clindamycin or something else.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Emergency: In my opinion this may be an emergency situation and you should be evaluated immediately. Call your doctor, explain your situation and ask to be seen immediately. If your doctor is not available for an immediate evaluation, go to a 24/7 emergency facility or the ER of a local hospital. It would be better to have someone drive you. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
Dr. Stephen Southard
Contact your doctor: I would not stop a course of antibiotics without letting your prescribing doctor know first. If you stop it early your infection may not be adequately treated and come back/get worse. But also, you may have developed irritation of your food pipe from the clindamycin(esophagitis) or a fungal infection(thrust) that is causing your symptoms. It needs to be assessed and addressed!
Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
Contact your doctor: Cellulitis needs to be treated with an antibiotic; however, if you are having side effects that you believe are related to the one you are on you need to see your doctor. Difficulty swallowing should be addressed with an exam. Take care.

Last updated Sep 26, 2014