hit the center of proximal phalanx on my right pointer finger. swollen knot, bruising & painful bending. bruised or would raised knot mean fracture?

Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine 28 years experience
X-Ray: The only way to rule out a fracture is an x-ray. Swelling and pain can be a sign of either a bad bruise or fracture. I suggest seeing your doctor or going to an ER for evaluation. In the meantime, ice, elevation and immobilization of the affected joint, (try a popsicle stick and gauze), will help.
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Fractures can swell: either locally or diffusely. A knot may mean there is a very bad bruise to skin or it could mean a fracture. A fracture in the finger can be nondislplaced meaning everyting moves well and is lined up so one does not necessarily have a great deformity, joint fractures or fractures in the plane of motion with swelling may not loo obvious except for pain and swelling. If symptoms persist, get seen