Burke, VA

i'd like to get weight loss surgery. i've ate better recently (no sugary/candy stuff), and whatnot. doc says bad idea. tired of being huge. thoughts?

Dr. Mark Pack
General Surgery 31 years experience
Personal decision: Weight-loss surgery is a very personal and individual decision. It is not a surgery for everyone. It is an extreme measure to take to accomplish weight loss. But… In the right person it can be very successful. Despite its many potential benefits, It is certainly not without its immediate and or long-term Possible consequences itself. Consider all your options, make the best decision for you.
Dr. Marino Tavarez
Gastric bypass: surgery is HUGE deal. Granted,it has helped many people with the insurmountable challenges of severe morbid obesity. It is even known to "cure" metabolic disease like Diabetes in some. However, unless you are equipped with TONS of Behavioral and Nutritional information (which takes time) and you TRULY change your lifestyle it will fail and go BADLY. I agree with your Doc, TREAD carefully.
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
General Practice 17 years experience
Well put! It is not just a physical change that is done to your body. To be successful, it takes an enormous capacity for emotional and behavioral change. Unless you make those changes, the weight you lose initially after surgery will all come back in the years to come.
Mar 21, 2016
Dr. Lori Semel
Surgery for obesity: There are a lot of negatives to having weight loss surgery. It is really better suited to the morbidly obese. It is a far better option to try to lose weight on a healthy weight loss program, such as weight watchers or GNC program. Speak with your pcp and even some of the surgeons who specialize. See what your options are. :)
Dr. Natalie Hodge
I agree, especially if you have already checked with your doctor! The old fashioned way is the best, changing behavior is hard, but you CAN do it!
Sep 7, 2014
Dr. Katherine Caldwell
General Practice 17 years experience
Yes! Every day is a new chance to make some healthy diet choices and changes. Think about adding in the healthy stuff first, rather than thinking about depriving yourself of the old junk you know you have to quit. Move around more. Enlist some friends to try with you, so you don't feel like you're in it alone. And if you fall off the bicycle, get right back on!
Mar 21, 2016