NJ

How can my baby get my cold if i'm breastfeeding? i thought antibodies would have prevented that.

Dr. Lori Semel
URI/BF: If you had antibodies to that particular virus, then you wouldnt have the cold yourself. Therefore, the baby is not protected. Only protected to the illnesses you have antibodies to.
Not a free pass: The antibodies in BM work primarily to prevent germ attachment to membranes in the digestive tract. If you have a cold, you spread it to baby through the nasal passages, which are not protected by BM antibodies.Breast milk is superior to other feeding sources and these antibodies help, but BF does not give any baby a free pass on germs.