what are the chances of decompensated cirrhosis being missed by 3 ultrasounds, 2 fibroscans and a contrast ct scan?? am i worrying unnecessarily?

4 doctor answers
Dr. Martin Raff
55 years experience Infectious Disease
Cirrhosis: Your question is not clear. If you have cirrhosis the diagnosis would be thru a liver biopsy, but quite unusual to have all the tests you list not showing abnormalities suggesting the presence of cirrhosis. Why do you suspect you have this? Age 30 is very unusual for decompensated cirrhosis, and you should discuss this with your doctor. If this is anxiety see a therapist. Best wishes.
Answered on Aug 29, 2019
1
Dr. Dorit Benmoha
But why were all these scans necesaary and still a question of cirrhosis,,doesnt make sense,,,,and yes about the liver bx,ofcourse but problem here there is no dx of any liver disease just usless tests
Aug 27, 2014
Dr. Dorit Benmoha
Cirrhosis: Should be clinically dx by exam rather then relying on scans,,if you need a scan to tell you pt has cirrhosis,,,theres a biger problem
Answered on Aug 29, 2019
1
Dr. Bradford Romans
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Liver biopsy is gold standard for determining how much fibrosis and how close to cirrhosis
Aug 27, 2014
Dr. Warren Everett
Specializes in Family Medicine
Yes: if imaging, physical examination and blood work are good you are good. Address your anxiety disorder and see your doctor
Answered on Aug 29, 2019
1
Dr. Dorit Benmoha
We shouldt practice defensive medicine,,we need to listen to the pt complaint ,use our knowledge and palpation skills
Aug 27, 2014
Dr. Julie Abbott
44 years experience Preventive Medicine
I believe so: Combining these various imaging techniques enhances the chance of diagnostic accuracy so you should be reassured. I note you have anxiety so this is probably kicking in. I wonder if you are worrying about the effects of alcohol? Too much alcohol can certainly aggravate anxiety and liver disease, My approach would be to focus on cirrhosis prevention by avoiding all things toxic to the liver.
Answered on Mar 12, 2020