prozac (fluoxetine) is making me more depressed and causing me to lose interest in the love/dating/relationship part of my life. help!

Dr. Stuart Hickerson
Depression: It could be the dose is not right. If you have recently started it usually takes a week or two for the medication to work. I would give your provider a call.
Dr. Grant Brenner
An issue: Sometimes medications like Prozac (fluoxetine) (an SSRI) can blunt libido, sexual function and desire. There is a concern for some people it can create feelings of apathy. This is frequently related to dose or specific medication. Helen Fisher, PhD http://www.helenfisher.com/ has raised concerns that SSRIs might affect attachment and bonding, given there is overlap with brain systems for sex and love.

Last updated Nov 11, 2015