Portland, OR

My mom has had hepatitis since before i was born. i was vaccinated at birth and am immune to the virus. can i still get it from her and infect others?

Dr. Kelly Tanenholz
Hepatitis : I assume you are referring to Hepatitis B. If you have immunity from your vaccination then you will not become infected and you will not spread the virus to anyone else. However, sometimes immunity to hepatitis B will wane ten or more years after vaccination. So you may want to consider testing (blood tests for antibody titers) at sometime to be sure that you are still immune.

Last updated Aug 21, 2014