Seattle, WA

as a kid i "split my head open." an on site doctor "fixed" it, so i never went to an actual doctor. could it have given me a concussion/brain injury?

Hard to say: Anything that happened years ago has either shown itself as a problem or not. Concussions generally heal without significant findings. A brain injury of any importance would have shown up at the time and or put you in the hospital for treatment.Pro football players with weekly concussions showed up with chronic problems later,but I can't see that a single event for you would hide for years.
Dr. Philip Ewing
Soft-Tissue Injury: In times past, people in general wore more cavalier about head injuries and were less likely to seek medial help afterwards. To split one's head open means that you suffered a laceration that was repaired. You may have suffered a concussion or brain injury but if so it was likely mild. Such injuries are treated with rest, hydration, and pain medicines. After the fact, it is impossible to be sure.
Dr. James Fenoglio
General Practice 44 years experience
Not likely: a concussion is defined as a loss of consciousness after a head injury and a brain injury usually causes symptoms of weakness, paralysis etc if it occurred. Sounds like you did ok afterwards so these scenarios are unlikely.