MA

i am now sexually active with my girlfriend and we were both virgins prior to the intimacy, she got a cold sore on her lip in april, am i at risk?

Dr. Ankush Bansal
Possibly: If the cold sore is still present, then yes you can contract the herpes virus from her when kissing or sharing cups/glasses. But if there are no active sores now, then the chance of transmission is extremely low. Remember, a cold sore is the herpes simplex virus. You have it for life. There is no cure, only suppression.
Dr. Steve Choi
Depends: Cold sores are usually associated with the herpes virus (HSV-1 most common) and can be spread by direct contact, so avoid touching the area, washing hands frequently and not sharing items that come in contact with the mouth.
Dr. Hien Tran
Herpes type I: most likely she has herpes type I which generally cause cold sore but they can spread sometimes to the genital area as well so yes you are at risk to getting whatever type she has especially when she has an outbreak but it is doubtful that she has type II (genital herpes generally) but it is possible because both can be found in both areas.

Last updated Sep 28, 2016