NY

I have an anterior osteophytic ridge that pushed against my esophagus, effacing the mid and right lateral lumen. an ent recommended surgery. should i?

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology 47 years experience
Sounds like you are: Uncomfortable. Ask the doc what the approach is and potential side effects, how common is the surgery. If you live in a city with more than one, get a second opinion. It somes down to how bothersome the problem is to you and the potential benefit versus risk of complication and even death. Choose after being fully informed. Good luck.
Dr. David Astrachan
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 37 years experience
Maybe: In my 23 years of practice I have operated on two people with osteophytes so large that it impaired their swallowing. I have probably seen hundreds of x-rays showing enlarged osteophytes causing an impression upon the esophagus in patients with swallowing difficulty. In almost all cases we were able to come up with other treatments to help their swallowing. I strongly recommend a second opinion.
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 27 years experience
totally agree with Dr. Astrachan. I can't recall a time I have operated on one... but you may.. so keep that in mind... during a second opinon.
May 10, 2012

Last updated Dec 20, 2012