i was diagnosed with bladder cancer in 1980 and one treatment with bcg 1990, since then one tumor and haven't had tumor since 2000. do i need a cysto ?

2 doctor answers
44 years experience Pathology
I'd do it: The altered urothelium in which bladder cancer arises is never really returned to normal. I'm glad you've gotten good results so far.
Answered on Mar 22, 2020
Dr. Ray Bologna
Specializes in Urology
Maybe: I think you can avoid a cystoscopy if you do not have any symptoms and your urinalysis is normal. Also, I would base it on your original pathology. If it was a low grade tumor you can hold off. You could do a urine cytology, urine sample looking for abnormal cells, to insure there is no evidence of a more aggressive tumor.
Answered on Feb 23, 2020