NC

What might be a reason for waking up in the morning with a feeling of dread, sadness, and hopelessness? feelings usually go away in minutes.

Dr. Jeffry Gill
Dreams, etc.: Sometimes the emotional content of dreams can stick with you upon awakening, even if you don't remember the imagery. The feelings you describe, however, may suggest a degree of depression, anxiety or both. It's also possible that a medical condition, such as sleep apnea, can cause symptoms that feel like that. I would strongly recommend discussing your concerns in-person with your doctor soon.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
I was guessing (hypothesizing is the fancy term for it) based on some of the studies with nightmares, PTSD. Is there are research more specifically about the influence of forgotten dreams, Dr, Gill?
Aug 7, 2014
Dr. Leslie Leighton
Common complaint: I think this is a fairly common complaint that may be perfectly normal and a response to having to tackle all the issues that will present themselves in the coming day. Sleep is in this respect an escape, waking up the reality that issues exist. It can also be a sign of early depression which seems less likely since the feelings disappear quickly. Would explore with your doctor if continues.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Leftovers from dream: Dreams are mostly forgotten before we awake, but may cause residual emotions if unpleasant. Nightmares don't always wake us, but cause definite physiologic changes for a time afterwards. I don't know for sure, but I think that some of the emotions experienced during bad dreams may linger. Dreams are a way of processing our waking experiences If you wake often feeling like this-worth seeing a doc.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Provided original answer
We don't know a lot about dreams, when compared with other processes. But research continues: see what we do know about them here: http://www.everydayhealth.com/pictures/things-science-knows-dreams/
Aug 7, 2014
Dr. Eric Chevlen
Medical Oncology 47 years experience
No treatment needed.: Frankly, it's hard to explain a symptom that goes away in a few minutes. No treatment is necessary, of course. If your morning symptoms persist during the day, you should see a psychiatrist for discussion of possible depression. Depression is a treatable disorder.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Morning dread: This is a brain chemistry manifestation. Your brain is generating sadness. It reflects genuine stress and sadness in your life, with negative anticipation. This happens in PTSD syndromes. This can progress to depression. I recommend positive help, from peers, teachers, friends, parents, pastors, counselors.
Dr. Susan Rhoads
Thanks for naming it, Dr. Mahnensmith. I had not heard that it had a name. I will now be able to search the literature easier.
Aug 7, 2014