Decatur, TX

i am 25 no smoking, high bp, diabetes or cholesterol but both parents had strokes in there 60's could i get one or would my chances be later in life ?

Dr. Eric Kelts
Neurology 25 years experience
Preventive Measures: Given such a strong family history of stroke, it is very smart of you to be thinking about it now. The best steps you can take are preventive--exercise regularly, keep track of blood pressure, eat a reasonable diet, sleep 7-8 hours a night. Some patients will take Omega-3 fatty acids and Co-Q10 to help mitigate risk. Aspirin could be used, but discuss with your doctor. Stay Healthy!
Dr. Khamid Bakhadirov
Neurology 18 years experience
Healthy lifestyle: While there is some genetic predisposition to stroke, you can minimize the risk substantially by adhering to a healthy lifestyle. Avoid smoking, keep BP in check, watch your diet and cholesterol and sugar levels, keep physically active. All these things are helpful in lowering your stroke risk.