Smyrna, GA
A 30-year-old female asked about a female:

Supplementing with formula utilizing nursery newborn water w/fluoride. i asked the pediatrician and she told me it was ok. my baby is 3w. concern?

Dr. Tiffanie Noonan
No concern...: The Nursery newborn water with fluoride does not have a concentration of fluoride above 0.7 ppm which is the reported "optimal level". Fluoride is also very often added to the drinking water that you get from the tap (depends on your community). I would not recommend additional fluoride vitamins, but mixing the formula with the nursery water is fine. Congratulations on the new baby!
Dr. Marlene Wust-smith
Not concerned: It is OK to use nursery water that contains fluoride in my opinion. Small amounts of fluoride (as are present in nursery water) help to protect babies' developing teeth. If you live in an area where water is fluoridated you do not need to give nursery water with fluoride, just use tap water (with a filter or boil it if there are concerns about its purity).

Last updated Sep 21, 2014