GB

Male 65yrs old fit but my hemoglobin was just under 13 doctor says nothing to worry about always had low blood count is it ok?

Dr. Cesar Sturla
Not normal: Hemoglobin of 13 g/dL is not normal. I would ike to have more information: MCV and MCH. The levels of iron, tranferrin saturation or Ferritin , B12, thyroid hormone and Testosterone levels should be checked. Depending on these results then proceed.
Dr. Robert Sterling
Probably: Every person is unique. If your blood counts have been steady at that number and you feel good and are active and happy: first I'd ask "what's your secret?' Then I'd say don't worry about it, unless there is a change and/or you don't feel well.
Dr. Daniel Ziegler
Emergency Medicine 30 years experience
I agree: If your Hb has always been between 12 & 13 and you made it to 65 thats a normal blood count for you. It is certainly not low enough to get much attention. If you provide the rest of the red cell indices from a CBC with differential we can give you a more informed response. I'm referring to the Hematocrit (Hct), RDW, MCH, MCV, and presence of unusual cells such as poikilocytes, Ovalocytes & others.

Last updated Mar 12, 2016