NY

is it okay to treat a severe vaginal yeast infection with only antifungal cream or should it be treated with both oral and cream?

Dr. Richard Valido
Yes: It is my bias that yeast vulvo/vaginitis is a local infection and is best treated and responds best to local therapy, i.e. vaginal creams/suppositories. So yes, ok to treat only with cream.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
OK: But oral is easier, faster, and often more effective. Vaginal yeast will recolonize from the colon and will proliferate in the presence of antibiotics or poorly controlled diabetes. Often the cause is not apparent.
Dr. Katharine Cox
Pediatric Emergency Medicine 45 years experience
Oral +/- cream: Diflucan (fluconazole) is quite effective for treating yeast infections and there is no mess. Currently some doctors are recommending 2 doses 7 days apart. The cream can be applied topically to help with the burning and itching while the Diflucan (fluconazole) is working. Have cultures and a special swab for yeast if this is what you think it is.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 57 years experience
Like I said
Aug 3, 2014