Fort Myers, FL

I fotgot to take my prozac (fluoxetine).for 2 weeks,i now am feeling anxious is this from forgeting my med. i have been on it for years?

Dr. Robert Isaacs
Missing Prozac (fluoxetine): Yes, if you have been off it for 2 weeks that is enough time for it to have been eliminated from your body. Did you have feelings of anxiety and being anxious before you started Prozac (fluoxetine)? If so, then that does suggest that the anxious feelings you have now are due to having stopped it.
Anxiety: Your list of conditions shows you have an anxiety disorder. Your increased anxiety may be for two reasons. The first is that you are no longer benefitting from the effect of the prozac. The second reason is that your body may having a reaction from abruptly coming off this medication. That can happen with the SSRI class of medications.
Dr. Qusai Bharmal
Geriatric Psychiatry 19 years experience
Fluoxetine has a long half life and it can last for upto 2 weeks in your blood. If you have been using it for some time for anxiety disorder, you need to see your doctor for a different, possibly more effective medication.
May 9, 2017

Last updated May 10, 2017