U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Jackson, OH
A 29-year-old female asked:

I have pcos and just got my period for the first time in months. i have really bad lower back pain and my breast are sore. is this normal?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayana Trivedi
Internal Medicine 40 years experience
I guess.: Some women do have And and Back pain from Menstrual cramps and also get Breast Engorgement during Menstrual period. So this is normal. As you do not have regular period yo may be experiencing more.You may want to consider BCP, other specific medication to regularize the period and Premenstrual Symptoms
Dr. John Berryman
Obstetrics and Gynecology 55 years experience
PCOS: Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) usually prevents ovulation, and hence prevents periods. Spontaneous ovulation can occur, however, and the symptoms, since it is so seldom, can be just as you describe. Consult your healthcare professional, who may suggest oral BCP, which can prevent some long term effects from PCOS and "unopposed estrogen" which accompanies this syndrome.
Dr. Asha Kamnani
Obstetrics and Gynecology 44 years experience
Yes: When you get a period after so many months specially with PCOS, your periods may be heavier and more painful. Your breast can also be sore. Please see your doctor to see if you need an endometrial biopsy. Patients who have long term PCOs need to be monitored for endometrial hyperplasia a condition that results for unopposed estrogen in PCOS. Good Luck!

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.