Wytheville, VA

i smoked weed an i have to get gallbladder surgery next week..will they know at all?

Dr. Shariq Refai
Well: if they do a drug test which includes testing for THC then yes they may know, but there is a chance it will have cleared out of your system by then. if you are a one time smoker it could be in urine for up to 7 days, if a regular smoker then up to 3 months or so.
Dr. Robert Killian
General Practice 28 years experience
Surgeons usually are not in the habit of testing patients for THC.
Jul 26, 2014
Dr. Elizabeth Wallen
However anesthesiologist like to be made aware. Chronic Marijuana potentiates some of the medications used in anesthesia. In addition, there can be increased pulmonary complications, coughing, wheezing, etc. post operatively. When the anesthesiologist asks you about drug use, please be honest. It's in your best interest.
Jul 26, 2014
Agree with Dr. Wallen - this should be about safe delivery of health care - not about hiding cannabis use.
Jul 26, 2014
Dr. William Jenkins
Specializes in Anesthesiology
They won't: Know unless you honestly answer question. Most patients answer honestly wanting their doctors to know information to best treat them. The information is not disclosed to anyone outside of direct patient care.