Minneapolis, MN

Does a unilateral oophorectomy for painful ovarian cyst lasting over 2 years make sense?

Dr. William Harris
Sure. Maybe...: I'm assuming this is for you! At 62yo, there is no reason (other than limiting risk) to just take out 1 ovary when you are "opened up." It's always a best guess that it's the ovary causing pain. Odd that you are 10 years postmenopausal and have ovarian cysts - those things should be shriveled prunes about now! I hate to stir the pot, but if it were me, I'd rip out both of those little time-bombs.

Last updated Sep 3, 2016