what to do if i am scheduled for a hysterectomy next week, and i was wondering about a couple of things?

Dr. Dale Kristle
Gynecology 40 years experience
Ask: then ask your doctor

Is it common for periods to stop completely after having a hysterectomy?

Dr. Maritza Baez
Yes: During a period, the uterine lining sloughs off and comes out of your vagina. If there is no uterus, you can't have a period.

Can you tell me about supracervical hysterectomies?

Dr. Craig Keathley
Partial hysterectomy: A supracervical hysterectomy is a partial hysterectomy where the uterus is amputated from the cervix which is left in place. There is no proven benefit to this approach over a total hysterectomy when it comes to issues of pelvic support or sexual function. The surgery is technically easier and there is no vaginal scar with the supracervical procedure.

My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy, but I can't take time for a six-week recovery period. What can I do?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
A Verified Doctor answered
A US doctor answered Learn more
Second opinion: Always get a second opinion about surgery. There may be medical options available for your problem. In addition, you may be a candidate for laparoscopic surgery.
NY

What are the complications of a hysterectomy?

Dr. Richard Orr
Surgical Oncology 44 years experience
Infection bleeding: Hysterectomies have a low risk of complications. Infections in the abdominal wall, urine, or vaginal cuff sometimes occur. Bleeding into the wound or significant vaginal bleeding is less common. Very rarely, serious complications occur including intraoperative bleeding, injury to the intestine or urinary tract, or blood clot in the legs or to the lungs.

Can you still have a cycle after a hysterectomy?

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Specializes in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Possible cycle: If you had a hysterectomy where the uterus and cervix were removed, then you cannot have a period. If your cervix was left in place, there is a 20-30% chance you will have a period because the inner lining of the uterus that causes a period extends into the cervix.
Dr. Kevin Daus
Dr. Kevin Daus commented
Great response!
Mar 17, 2012

Last updated Nov 16, 2014