India

got kidney removed 20 days b4 so the injection given b4 bone scan is it safe n whatever given through injection is tht excreated from body easily ??

Dr. Brian Wosnitzer
Nuclear Medicine 18 years experience
Yes...: The tracer which is given for bone scan is Technetium 99m MDP and it is excreted by the kidneys. The tracer is a radionuclide and has a physical half life of about 6 hours. This means that even if you had no kidneys, half of the tracer would have decayed by 6 hours. If you have kidney function, this will accelerate washout of tracer from your body and more than half will be gone by 6 hours.