Is it worth asking my doctor about switching my medicine to nardil (phenelzine)?

Dr. Mark Shukhman
Addiction Medicine 31 years experience
Possibly: Nardil (phenelzine) is a great medication. Many of my patients ended up on it and do not want to change it to anything else. At the same time, if you are on nardil, (phenelzine) you need to avoid certain foods and certain other medications. You cannot also switch from your current antidepressant to Nardil (phenelzine) directly: you have to wait for about two weeks. Otherwise, it is very well worth trying.
Nardil/ phenelzine: Don't know your diagnosis or what medication you are currently taking. Parnate (Tranylcypromine) is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressant. It works well for atypical depression. However, Wellbutrin is a newer drug that works well for that condition. There is a significant danger of a hypertensive crisis if one takes Parnate and eats food containing Tyramine.