Clear Spring, MD

i have carpal tunnel in both of my wrists, lately my hands have been going numb quicker then usual. my left thumb hurts after it's numb. why?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Pain in thumb C6: There's an entity called a C6 radiculopathy which may explain the isolated pain to that digit as well as numbness. Also, something called TENOSYNOVITIS could explain the thumb. You are awfully young to be having bilateral CTS. What type of work you do? I know you've got wrist braces but has your diagnosis been confirmed by either a good neurological exam or an EMG/NCV test? If not, consider them
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 33 years experience
Provided original answer
Thanks for the additional info. but I still maintain that no matter how much you may be typing for your (wonderful) chosen profession--- I used to have a 7-12 certificate before med school- I still don't see bilateral CTS in you as highly likely. Get a firm diagnosis by a neurologist because otherwise, unnecessary surgical treatments may eventually be recommended. Cheers to you & the munchkins!
Jul 22, 2014
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Hand Surgery 35 years experience
Carpal tunnel: Carpal tunnel implies that the blood supply to the median nerve s compromised. If it is a transient temporary thing then it will not cause "damage" however if it is a chronic long term problem then there can be permanent loss of sensation and muscle function. If you like you can call this "damage" but i hate the word damage or nerve damage as it connotates a problem the can't be treated. When in f