A 37-year-old male asked about a 35-year-old female:
~1yr black mold exposure unaware. sinus symptoms 3 mo. now had acute exposure; can nasal irrigation push spores deeper&risk dangerous fung infx? or good2do?
1 doctor answer • 1 doctor weighed in
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 13 years experience
Should be fine: Most sinus/respiratory symptoms related to mold exposure are due to an allergic type reaction as well as irritating toxins. Using irrigation to clear out the spores would help with both of these problems. Serious "invasive" fungal infections of the sinuses are rare and occur in people who have uncontrolled diabetes or severely suppressed immune systems. "Black mold" does not cause these infections
3.9k viewsAnswered >2 years ago
Last updated Jul 17, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$30 per visit with
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.