U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 45-year-old female asked:

Can i have plastic surgery on my fingers to remove excessive wrinkles on my knuckles?

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. John Munshower
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Well,...: I doubt a plastic surgeon would do this as the knuckle is a place where constant flexion will eventually cause the wrinkles to return as a normal place to get lines. If you were obese and lost a lot of weight, and have excess skin in the area, that is a different story.
Dr. Glynis Ablon
Dermatology 29 years experience
we typically use fillers, but all knuckles have some wrinkles without them it could look weird
Jul 16, 2014
Dr. Gary Tuma
Facial Plastic Surgery 25 years experience
Hand wrinkles: You can have injectable fillers as well as fat grafting to the back of the hand to help with wrinkles. But there is no surgery for the knuckles. You need redundant skin over the knuckles so you can close and open your fingers.
Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez
Plastic Surgery 41 years experience
The loss of fat in the subcutaneous tissues of the hand makes the underlying structures such as tendons and veins stand out, as well as creating hollows in other areas. Since there is also loss of skin elasticity, the skin becomes wrinkled. Fat injections are wonderful for rejuvenating the hands! Speak to a board certified plastic surgeon with fat grafting experience to discuss your options.
Jul 17, 2019

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Jul 17, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.