i am type 2 diabetic. i have fasting insulin level of 12.3 and fasting serum glucose of 275. i eat between 50-100g carbs/day. what am i doing wrong?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
30 years experience Endocrinology
Many options: Hi. I think it is more fruitful to ask, "What can be done differently to optimize control?" than "What am I doing wrong?". We don't know what diabetes drugs you're on, so I can't make any firm recommendations. Consider: healthy diet & regular exercise FOR LIFE. You're probably on metformin. I love the GLP-1 drugs (e.g., Victoza). SGLT-2 inhibitors are very nice too. Insulin's great when needed.
Answered on Jul 14, 2014