Charleroi, PA

dx tmj. i have jaw tenderness, ear discomfort but can't figure out why my tongue hurts. there r no sores or swelling. can tmj cause the tongue pain?

Dr. J. Blake Perkins
Dentistry 21 years experience
Possibly: The nerves that give feeling and function to your face, teeth, tongue, etc. are closely intertwined, and many of them share a common junction, called a ganglion, specifically the trigeminal ganglion that is above and behind the TMJ. Pain and swelling in the area of the TMJ can cause other areas to hurt, including the tongue, teeth, and face.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Yes: The nerve to the tongue passes just in front of ear. If you have chronic inflammation in the joint tongue may be sore. But can also be from other causes. Have you asked your Dentist to take a look? Have you asked for an Orthodontic Consultation to asses occlusion and function?
Dr. Louis Gallia
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 45 years experience
Yes: Less commonly but yea. If your tongue soreness is prominent, have it evaluated by an oral surgeon or ENT.