my mother 65 years old having vitamin d3 deficiency to severe level. it is 17 ng/ml. what dose you consider,and time for alevating it to normal value.

2 doctor answers
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
41 years experience Preventive Medicine
About 50,000 IU/week: Beware that most brands do not work well, some even seem to make concentration go down - have seen this for years. Especially true of Rx ergocalciferol, vit D2. Only purchase D3: >25% people do not convert D &/or D2 to D3 very well. A healthy level likely about 70-80 ng/ml. Carefully search for quality OTC brand (I stock one in my office) and wait about 3 months between checks; it takes a while!
Answered on Sep 11, 2015
1
Dr. Bernard Seif
40 years experience Clinical Psychology
Many people take: 5K IUs of D3 daily but you would need to speak w/your mom's doc to determine the proper dose for her. The "normal range" starts at 30 but the experts on D3 research recommend that the level be 50 to 80. Many studies support the effectiveness of D3. Peace and good health. Drinking milk won't do it.
Answered on Sep 11, 2015
4