Brooklyn, NY

how can toxoplasmosis affect the eyes? what would the standard treatment be?would it leave scarring?

Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology 52 years experience
Retinal parasite: Toxo is a protozoa which commonly is infected to humans from cats. It can get into various internal tissues and in the eye has an affinity for the retina. It creates focal site of infection with destruction of the light receptors at the site of invasion.; Treatment includes several anti-protozoal agents and sometimes an assist from laser. It typically leaves a characteristic scar.