Canal Fulton, OH

had a root canal 3weeks ago and still have very minor throbbing in the tooth. the sensitivity to the hot/cold is gone though. is this normal?

Dr. Robert Mokbel
Dentistry 42 years experience
Yes and No: Some discomfort is expected for a while, ideally your tooth should feel just like the other teeth, like nothing. Ask your treating dentist to re-evaluate it before you continue with the remainder of the treatment to restore the tooth.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
Time needed: It takes time for the healing process. Depending on the amount of pre endo inflammation or infection, this varies.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 36 years experience
See your dentist : It is normal to feel some discomfort in the area for a few days after your root canal treatment. However, if you have pain or pressure that lasts for 3 weeks, Your tooth should no longer be sensitive to hot or cold after the root canal is treated. Contact your dentist for re-evaluation and x-ray..
Dr. Robert Devin
Dentistry 47 years experience
RC Therapy: Yes. All RC treated teeth have a 'bruise' in the bone that holds the tooth in. Chewing on this tooth pushes the root down into the the sore bone... this hurts a little or sometimes a lot. Ask your Doc for meds to reduce this imflamation or "bruise". They might even have you come in to have the tooth adjusted a bit so you don't bit into it so hard. OBTW don't delay getting the "cap" .
Dr. Randolph Todd
Endodontics 44 years experience
Sometimes: Recovery from RCT depends on many factors such as virulence of offending bacteria, host resistance, occlusion etc. It would be impossible for me to determine if your recovery is normal. However most inflammation only lasts 7-14 days. If your discomfort is lasting longer than average I suggest you discuss this with your DDS to be sure nothing else is influencing your recovery, Best of luck
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 40 years experience
Can be expected: Healing time varies between patients. If you were infected before the root canal therapy was started, this is not uncommon. You should be directing your concerns to the dentist who is treating you, since they know your situation the best.
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
Sounds like: Sounds like you're healing from the infection and curative surgery. Call the treating Dentist or specialist Endodontist who treated you and ask if a follow-up visit is warranted.