A 24-year-old female asked about a 35-year-old female:

i had severe preeclampsia with my first pregnancy. what is the chance i will have it again in a second pregnancy?

Dr. David Krulak
Significant: The range of preeclampsia recurrence is between 5-70%. The more severe the preeclampsia in the first pregnancy, the more likely the recurrence. Severe preeclampsia requiring delivery before 30 weeks gestation has the highest risk of recurrence.
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Wide range: Previous diagnosis of preeclampsia does put you at a higher risk of developing again compared to a woman who did not have it in previous pregnancies.The chance of having it again is somewhere between 5 and 70 percent, a range that I know is not very helpful.The risk of getting again is still higher if you have a history of severe symptoms of preeclampsia, which you had.You will have to be vigilant

Last updated Jun 21, 2014